Applications are accepted from
June 1 - July 15 for the winter term (starting October 1st) and
December 1 - January 15 for the summer term (starting April 1st)
Applications must be submitted online via our central student server, STiNE.
STiNE unfortunately only has a German interface. Further information on the Master's programmes at the University of Hamburg can be found
here. If you have any difficulties with the online application process, please do not hesitate to
contact us directly.
Please also print out your online application and send a signed copy by regular mail to
MIN Fakultät, Fachbereich Mathematik
Bundesstraße 55 (Geomatikum)
Your application must include the following documents:
- A signed printout of your online application form
- A curriculum vitae (in English)
- A short personal statement (50-500 words, in English): What do you like about mathematics? What interests you most? What are you hoping to achieve in your course?
- A copy of your High School diploma or equivalent. Copies in English or German are accepted. If your diploma is in another language, please enclose an official
- A current transcript of records with grade point average
- A copy of the degree certificate of your Bachelor in mathematics or equivalent (in English or German), including a transcript of your grades. You are eligible, if you can prove that you have gained at least 90 Credit Points in Mathematics. If you have not
yet received your Bachelor’s degree at the time of application, please send instead copies of course records indicating that you will complete your undergraduate
studies by October 1 for the winter term, or April 1 for the summer term. In this case, you must provide the degree certificate until the end of of your first semester (march or september).
- You may provide further evidence of work experience or other relevant qualifications.
Proficiency in English
Your proficiency in English will be considered as proven if at least one of the following applies to you
- You have successfully passed a university program taught in English.
- You have passed the TOEFL test with 450 credits in the paper-based version (TOEFL PBT) or
130 credits in the computer-based test (TOEFL CBT) or 78 credits in the internet-based-test (TOEFL iBT)
- You have passed the IELTS test with a score of at least 4.5
- You have a high school diploma accepted at English language universities.
- You have spent at least 6 months in an English speaking country.
or if you provide us with similar evidence or equivalent qualifications.
In particular, we accept a certificate that proves that you have attended English classes in high school for at least 5 years.
We recommend that you be able to follow courses and seminars in English as well as in German.
The copies of your documents need not to be certified. Copies in English or German are accepted. If your certificates are in another language, please enclose a certified translation.
If you need further information on the application procedure, do not hesitate to
contact us by email.