Applications are accepted from
June 1 - July 15 for the winter term (starting October 1st) and December 1 - January 15 for the summer term (starting April 1st) each year.
Applications have to be submitted online via STiNE (the central student server of the university). After submitting the STiNE application, the complete application documents must be sent to the following e-mail address: bewerbung.math"AT"uni-hamburg.de
To help the selection committee make its decision, your application should include the following documents:
- The pdf of the online application form (in English)
- A short personal statement (50-500 words, in English): What do you like about mathematics? What interests you most? What are you hoping to achieve in your course?
- Your Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- A photocopy of your university entry qualification (i.e. High School diploma or equivalent)
- A photocopy of the degree certificate or provisional Transcript of Records. If you are still studying when you apply and cannot yet provide a final certificate containing your grades, please submit your current Transcript of Records confirming your provisional grade point average. You will then need to submit your degree certificate by the end of the first semester of your master’s program. You are eligible, if you can prove that you have gained at least 90 Credit Points in Mathematics
- Current transcript of records with grade point average (CGPA)
- Your proficiency in English
- You may provide further evidence of work experience or other relevant qualifications
The copies of your documents need not to be certified. Copies in English or German are accepted. If your certificates are written neither in English nor in German, please enclose a certified translation.
Proficiency in English
Your proficiency in English will be considered as proven if at least one of the following applies to you:
- You have passed a test within CEFR/TELC at level B2
- You have passed the IELTS test with a score of at least 5.0
- You have passed the TOEFL test with 72 credits in the internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- You have passed Cambridge FCE, CAE or CPE
- You have a degree from an English language bachelor degree program
- You have a high school diploma accepted at English language universities
- You have spent at least 6 months in an English speaking country
- You have learnt English at a German-Speaking-School for at least seven years
We recommend that you be able to follow courses and seminars in English as well as in German.
Extra note on the application process:
Your online application must have the status 'sent' or 'received' in STiNE or else you didn't formally apply for admission.
When admission letters are published can be found here under 'Master's degree programs'. This date is the same for ALL applicants, national and international.
Your application must reach our office not later than 15 January or 15 July respectively. If it reaches us later than that your application will NOT be reviewed by the admissions committee.