Applications are accepted from
June 1 - July 15 for the winter term (starting October 1st) and
December 1 - January 15 for the summer term (starting April 1st) each year.
Applications must be submitted online via our central student server, STiNE. STiNE unfortunately only has a German interface. Further information on the Master's programmes at the University of Hamburg can be found here. After submitting the STiNE application, the complete application documents must be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any difficulties with the online application process, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Your application must include the following documents:
- A signed printout of your online application form
- A curriculum vitae (in English)
- A short personal statement (50-500 words, in English): What do you like about mathematics? What interests you most? What are you hoping to achieve in your course?
- A copy of your High School diploma or equivalent. Copies in English or German are accepted. If your diploma is in another language, please enclose an official translation.
- A current transcript of records with grade point average. Your documents must contain your CGPA and the means to convert them into German grading system, minimum passing grade and maximum grade possible. If it is not possible to calculate or convert your CGPA, it will be set as minimum passing grade.
- A copy of the degree certificate of your Bachelor in mathematics or equivalent (in English or German), including a transcript of your grades. You are eligible, if you can prove that you have gained at least 90 Credit Points in Mathematics. If you have not yet received your Bachelor’s degree at the time of application, please send instead copies of course records indicating that you will complete your undergraduate studies by October 1 for the winter term, or April 1 for the summer term. In this case, you must provide the degree certificate until the end of of your first semester (march or september).
- You may provide further evidence of work experience or other relevant qualifications
Extra note on the application process:
Your online application must have the status 'sent' or 'received' in STiNE or else you didn't formally apply for admission.
When admission letters are published can be found here under 'Master's degree programs'. This date is the same for ALL applicants, national and international.
Your application must reach our office not later than 15 January or 15 July respectively. If it reaches us later than that your application will NOT be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Proficiency in English
Your proficiency in English will be considered as proven if at least one of the following applies to you
- You have passed a test within CEFR/TELC at level B2
- You have passed the IELTS test with a score of at least 5.0
- You have passed the TOEFL test with 72 credits in the internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- You have passed Cambridge FCE, CAE or CPE
- You have a degree from an English language bachelor degree program
- You have a high school diploma accepted at English language universities
- You have spent at least 6 months in an English speaking country
- You have learnt English at a German language school for at least seven years
We recommend that you be able to follow courses and seminars in English as well as in German.
The copies of your documents need not to be certified. Copies in English or German are accepted. If your certificates are in another language, please enclose a certified translation.
Please, also see Application for Scholarship - Cluster of Excellence Quantum Universe.