Practice and Cultures of Mathematics
Practice and Cultures of Mathematics
In recent years, researchers have become interested in the study of mathematics as
a human subject with different practices and cultures. This research has been embedded
in the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice community, but is broader in the
sense that it is interested in the study of mathematical practices and cultures
independently of whether there is an interaction with traditional philosophical
questions (such as epistemology or ontology). The Practice and Cultures of
Mathematics community understands itself as closely associated to the Association for the Philosophy of Mathematical
The research on Practice and Cultures of Mathematics is not coordinated by
an institution, but is rather defined in terms of are core group of researchers who
are related by joint research projects and who meet regularly at events related to the
study of mathematical practice and cultures. The researchers of this community are
very grateful that IASCUD agreed to host this website for them to document the
activities of the research community.
- 24-26 October 2002. Perspectives on Mathematical Practices, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2006-2010. The PhiMSAMP network
funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft with
several events and nodes in seven countries.
Bonn, Germany, 8 May 2005.
- GAP.6 Workshop: Towards a new epistemology of
mathematics (= PhiMSAMP-1).
Berlin, Germany, 14-16 September 2006.
- PMP 2007.
Perspectives on Mathematical Practices. Brussels, 26-28 March 2007.
Utrecht, The Netherlands, 19-21 October 2007.
- 18th Novembertagung.
Bonn, Germany, 1-4 November 2007.
Vienna, Austria, 16-18 May 2008.
- Foundations of
the Formal Sciences VII. Brussels, Belgium, 21-24 October 2008.
- PhiMSAMP-4. Brussels, Belgium, 24-25 October 2008.
- PhiMSAMP-5. Hatfield, England, 29-30 June 2009.
Streams in the Philosophy of Mathematics: Rival Conceptions of Mathematical
Proof. Hatfield, England, 1-3 July 2009.
Utrecht, The Netherlands, 22-23 April 2010.
- 27-29 May 2010. Mathematics
as Culture and Practice, Bielefeld, Germany.
- 2-3 December 2011. Mathematics
as Culture and Practice II, Greifswald, Germany.
- 2010-2012. Symposia on mathematical practice and cognition at the
conventions of the Society for the Study of Artificial
Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour.
- 2012-2014. Mathematical
Cultures: workshop series funded by the
Arts and Humanities Research Council and the
London Mathematical Society.
- 9-12 November 2012. Cultures of Mathematics
and Logic, Guangzhou, China.
- 20-23 September 2013. Foundations of the Formal
Sciences VIII: History and Philosophy of Infinity, Cambridge, England.
- 10-14 September 2014. Pragmatics and the Practical Turn in Philosophy of Science,
- 9-10 December 2014. The logic and philosophy of mathematical practice,
- 22-25 March 2015. Cultures of Mathematics IV, New Delhi, India
- 13-14 April 2015. 6th Seville Workshop on Philosophy of Mathematical Practice,
- 22-26 June 2015.
5th Biennial SPSP (Society for Philosophy of Science in Practice),
- Fall of 2015. 3rd APMP conference, Paris, France
- Proceedings of the Perspectives on Mathematical Practices Conference 2002,
special issue of the journal Logique et Analyse (Volume 45, number 179-180, 2002).
- Bart Van Kerkhove, Jean Paul Van Bendegem (eds.), Perspectives on
Mathematical Practices. Bringing Together Philosophy of Mathematics, Sociology of
Mathematics, and Mathematics Education. Volume 5 of Logic, Epistemology, and
the Unity of Science, Springer, 2007.
- Bart Van Kerkhove (ed.), New Perspectives On
Mathematical Practices. Essays in Philosophy and History of Mathematics. Brussels,
Belgium, 26-28 March 2007, World Scientific, 2008.
- Benedikt Löwe and Thomas Müller (eds.), PhiMSAMP. Philosophy of
Mathematics: Sociological Aspects and Mathematical Practice, Volume 11 of Texts
in Philosophy, College Publications, 2010. (Open Access)
- Bart Van Kerkhove, Jonas De Vuyst, and Jean Paul Van Bendegem (eds.), Philosophical Perspectives
on Mathematical Practice, Volume 12 of Texts in Philosophy, College